Silhouette Tip – Cutting without Connecting to Your Computer
Every now and again, I discover something that is so huge (for me), I wonder how I didn’t realize it before….
My Silhouette Cameo, along with all its accessories, is stored on a rolling cart in my craft room. However, because my craft room is pretty small, I don’t have enough room to keep my laptop in there all the time. To use my Silhouette, I either needed to bring my laptop into my craft room where it took up valuable space on my desk, or I brought my Silhouette (with all the accessories needed) down to the dining room where my laptop usually sits. Both were pretty inconvenient!
I recently discovered that you can save your cut files to an SD/SDHC card and cut from that without needing to attach the computer to the Silhouette machine. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS BEFORE NOW?! 🙂 Anyway, in case you were also unaware…
- Create your cut file(s) using your Silhouette software. (I use the Silhouette Designer Edition.)
- Insert your SD/SDHC card card into your computer. Select “Save As” option and select “Save to SD card.”
- Name your file. It will be saved as a “gsp” file onto your card. (You may also wish to save your file as you normally would since the format of the file is different for the SD card.)
- Place the SD/SDHC card in your Silhouette in the slot located on the right-hand side of the unit next to the USB and power connections, and load your mat with your card stock (or whatever you will be cutting).
- Select “SD Card Setting.”
- Select “Select File” to see all your saved choices.
- Select the file you wish to use.
- Select “Cut” and Silhouette will cut the file.
Much easier! Happy cutting …..without the cords!!
Thanks for checking out my post!
This content uses referral links as described in the disclosure policy on my sidebar.
2 thoughts on “Silhouette Tip – Cutting without Connecting to Your Computer”
Wow! I was unaware too. I have my cameo on a shelf that sits to the left and behind my desk where my computer is. I connect it with the cord when I want to use it. Otherwise the cord is dangling in an awkward place. This is just amazing. Thanks again.
Well you are a genius! GREAT tip! I always lug my laptop into my craft room…..I need to get a can of air to blow all of that glitter and embossing powder out of the keys lol Thanks for sharing!!!