Pink Love and Prayers

Pink Love and Prayers

Pink Love and Prayers.jpg

This card was made for Sean’s “Stamp Out Cancer – Challenge #2 – Pretty In Pink!” challenge for StampTV. The challenge is for us to create a card of encouragement and support for our family and friends that have been impacted by breast cancer. The key element of the card is that it should be pink. (http://stamptv.ning.com/forum/topics/stamp-out-cancer-challenge-2-pretty-in-pink)

It was also made for Lee’s “In the Pink for October” Mod Squad Challenge. In following with the very important theme of cancer awareness…..her challenge this week is to use pink – any pink, any way. (http://modsquadchallenge.blogspot.com/2014/10/mod-squad-in-pink-for-october.html)

Stamps for this card came from the Gina K Designs “A Year of Flowers 2” and “With Love and Prayers” sets.

The heart and pink border were made with two handmade masks and airbrushed with my Copic Airbrush System and Copic Marker R56. First I stamped the flowers, stems and leaves with Memento tuxedo black ink. Then I applied Frisket masking liquid to the stamped images with a fine liner paint brush and allowed it to dry. Frisket is a watery substance that dries like rubber cement and creates a mask on the image. After the heart was airbrushed, the frisket mask was rubbed off with a rubber cement eraser (or you can use your finger). The image was then clean and ready to color.

The Flowers were colored with Copic Markers R81, R56, R59, G21, G24, and G28. The greeting was stamped with Memento rhubarb stalk ink.

Flower Soft was used in the centers of the flowers; I used copics to make the Flower Soft match the petals.

This card was originally intended to be a single layer card, but I accidentally used a lighter weight card stock, and the copic markers bled through to the inside. (If I had used the white Gina K heavy base weight card stock, this wouldn’t have happened.) I was forced to cut off the front of the original card and attach it to a separate card base. This then allowed me to add my ribbon across the bottom. (Originally, I just had the awareness ribbon in the corner.) I like the added ribbon and the thin white border that was created by adding my panel to the card base, so I guess my mistake was a good one!

I deviated from my original design in another way as well. My original idea was to color the flowers in a very sketchy way with some white showing around the strokes. I decided I didn’t love it with the white and the really dark highlights, so I added a really light shade of pink where the white was. That was really pretty, but I felt the highlights were still too dark, and in trying to blend them better, I messed up and was forced to color the whole flower in a little darker. Ughhh!!!! I’m telling you this because if I knew I was coloring the flower in so darkly and completely, I probably could have skipped the masking step with the Frisket.

Thanks for checking out my card project!

This content uses referral links as described in the disclosure policy on my sidebar.

Advertisements

One thought on “Pink Love and Prayers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s