Confetti Cluster Flower Card
I just learned a new technique called Confetti Cluster Stamping where you stamp a bunch of small images in the shape of your choice. (You can see the video tutorial HERE over at Papertrey Ink.) Basically, you start with a shape template and lightly trace it onto your card panel. Then you use a variety of tiny stamps and inks to fill in the traced shape. Once the entire shape is filled in (enough to clearly see the original shape), you erase your traced lines and you are left with a beautiful, confetti-like image.
I am entering this card project in the Mod Squad “Flowers” Challenge this week where we are to use a flower as a focal point. The sponsor for this week is Melanie Muenchinger from Hands. Head and Heart so for the bonus entry, you need to use one of Melanie’s stamps. (http://modsquadchallenge.blogspot.com/2015/03/flowers.html)
I am also entering this in The Paper Players challenge # 236 – “Ann’s Clean and Simple Floral Challenge” – where we are to create a clean and simple floral card. (http://thepaperplayers.blogspot.com/2015/03/pp236-anns-clean-and-simple-floral.html)
I started with a flower template from the Cricut George and Basics Shapes Cartridge that I cut with my Cricut. I traced it very lightly with pencil onto a piece of white card stock. Then I started stamping.
Inks used: Tim Holtz tattered rose distress ink, and Gina K wild lilac, turquoise sea, ocean mist, sweet mango, sweet corn, kraft, grass green, prickly pear, and innocent pink.
Stamp Sets used (all Gina K Designs – some retired): Love You Mini Set, The Giving Tree, Pretty Patterns, Mommy-to-be Diva, Party On, Fabulous Frame Fillers, Fabulous Holiday Fillers, Best Fishes, Bundle of Love, and Sunkissed Autumn.
Card Stock used: Stampin’ Up Crisp Cantaloupe, Gina K Turquoise Sea, and white.
The Sentiment was from the Gina K Designs Happy Birthday Duo set and was stamped with versamark ink and heat embossed with Recollections snow embossing powder. I cut the flower center with a Creative Memories circle punch and embossed it with a Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder. The ribbon is by American Crafts and is strategically placed to hide an ink smudge!
This project was fun to do, but I needed to start over quite a few times because I kept getting ink on the edges of my acrylic block and then onto my card panel. With such tiny stamps, you need to be careful not to rock the stamps when you are inking them up and again when you stamp the images. Another problem I had was that I started off stamping my images slowly and deliberately, and then started moving more quickly which is when I tended to mess up. I know that sounds obvious, but when you repeatedly stamp the same image randomly on your project, it is really easy to pick up speed! My final problem was that I don’t normally use this many colors and I wasn’t sure I liked my combination at first. I ended up putting the panel aside and working on something else, and when I came back to it, the colors had faded when the inks dried, and I liked it so much better! For this project, I basically just kept grabbing ink pads. For next time, I think I will try some combinations on scrap paper and let the inks dry to see how it will turn out instead of just starting on my card panel.
Thanks for checking out my card project!
This content uses referral links as described in the disclosure policy on my sidebar.