This card is being entered in the Perfectly Rustics Design Challente No. 35 – Stitiching – where we are to use stitching on our creations. I have never sewn on a card before, so this was a great challenge for me to try something new! (http://perfectlyrustics.com/2014/11/03/prdc-35-stitching/)
So I dug out my sewing machine, dusted it off, … and proceeded to make a mess!! I discovered that stitching on a card is HARD!!! I had quite a bit of trouble and wasted quite a bit of paper before I got something I could use. I’m not sure what I was thinking, but I actually took my finished stamped and colored image and tried to sew on that as one of my first attempts. UGH! Luckily, the panel started out kind of big, and I was able to trim off the disaster! My stitches weren’t straight (at all), my borders were very uneven, and the corners were just a mess. I finally realized it was too hard to use the straight stitch because it was not at all forgiving. The slightest bit of crookedness was too obvious. I tried to tell myself it added charm, but it really was making me nuts on this layout with all the straight edges! I found this zigzag stitch easier to control (or maybe I had just had more practice by the time I tried it!), but I still had trouble turning the corners with this stitch. Hence, the buttons! The stitching is a really nice look for a country-ish card, but I need a lot more practice (or a lot more paper)!
The stamp I used for this card was by Hero Arts and is called Star Santa (H1100). I stamped him on white card stock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and colored him with Copic Markers (coat and hat- R46, R59; tree and holly leaves – G24, G29; hair – W1, E43; trim on coat and hat – E30, E33; face – E30, E13 (cheeks); mittens – B24, B29, C5, C7, C9; stars – Y17; and tree trunk – E59). Besides the white card stock, I also used Gina K Cranberry Tart and Christmas Pine, and the patterned paper came from the Gina K “Cold Snap” patterned paper pack. I used white thread for my stitching, and the white strands that I separated from two-colored baker’s twine for the bows on the buttons.
Thanks for checking out my card project!
This content uses referral links as described in the disclosure policy on my sidebar.