Flower and Frame Birthday Card

Flower and Frame Birthday Card

Flower and Frame Birthday Card wDSC_3134.JPG

(inside: Wishing you all the best today and throughout the coming year)

This card features dies that I’ve had in my collection for quite some time.  They are all by Spellbinders and are from the following sets:  “A2 Filigree Delight” (S5-177), “Spiral Blossom One” (S4-351), “Floral Ovals” (S4-356), and “Foliage” (S4-328).

The patterned paper used for the blossom and background is digital paper from a set called “A4 Fruit Harvest” (no longer available?) from a shop called “vintagebyme” on Etsy.   Gina K Ivory and Dark Sage card stock was also used.

The greeting is from the “Birthday Greetings Stamp Set” from Recollections/Michaels and was stamped (and sponged) with Dark Sage ink.  The inside sentiment is from the “Happy Birthday to You” set from Gina K Designs.

Thanks for checking out my card project!

This content uses referral links as described in the disclosure policy on my sidebar.

Eclipse Thank You Card (and a few other samples)

Eclipse Thank You Card (and a few other samples)


To do the eclipse technique, die cut shape(s) are cut out of the decorated or printed panel and reattached after being layered/raised up so you have a continuous pattern across the whole card.  I smooshed the background with ink and water and then partially stenciled a pattern which was darker/complete in the upper left corner and “trailed off” as I moved towards the lower right.  The pattern on the portion of the card where I die cut my “thanks” is subtle, but you can see how the drops and splotches of color continue onto the raised letters.  (I cut and layered four plain white die cuts under the patterned one to raise it up.  You could also use a piece of fun foam.)

For the next two cards, I used patterned paper.

DSC_2273ww    DSC_2263w

Both of these panels were made from different parts of a sheet of  “Thoreau Flowers” (#505802) paper by Recollections.  The  “In A Word: Thanks Cutaway” die (#WW031CA) from Winnie & Walter is perfect for this technique.  The butterfly die was unbranded.

Thanks for checking out my card projects!

Tea Bag Fold Birthday Card

Tea Bag Fold Birthday Card

Tea Bag Fold Birthday Card wDSC_3059.JPG

I was recently asked if there were ways to use the tea bag fold panels for a design other than for a Christmas tree, and this is one variation I came up with.

Paper used on this card is Snowflake Mix (#712257), Wooden Fence (#154484), and Textured Cream Sheet Music (#142950) which are all by The Paper Studio.  The card base is Recollections heavy weight ivory.  The greeting is a stamp from the “Banners” set from Joy! Crafts.  Last year, I made a holiday card using the same papers.

Thanks for checking out my card project!



Gel Medium and Stencils (with foiling, heat embossing, and glitter)

Gel Medium and Stencils (with foiling, heat embossing, and glitter)


I tried some foiling with gel medium for the first time.

I applied the gel medium to my panel with a palette knife through a stencil and allowed the gel medium to dry.  Then I placed a piece of transfer foil on top (of the dried gel medium) and ran the panel through my minc foiling machine.

Here is another foiled sample:



A similar effect can be achieved with embossing powder instead of the foil.  While the gel medium is still wet, you sprinkle on the embossing powder as you normally would if you were stamping, shake off the excess, and then you allow the gel medium to dry.  After it has dried, you heat set the powder with a heat tool.

Here is a sample panel done with embossing powder:


While the gel medium is still wet, you could also apply loose glitter (instead of embossing powder).  Once the gel medium dries, shake/brush off the excess.


Thanks for checking out my card projects!

This content uses referral links as described in the disclosure policy on my sidebar.

Stencil and Texture Paste Background

Stencil and Texture Paste Background


I rarely use stencils or texture paste, but I decided it would be fun to play with both with my class.

While creating a few samples, I tried different methods of adding color to the white paste (while still wet or after it was dry).  For the above sample (and the first one below), I added some Memento Bamboo Leaves ink to my craft mat, scooped a bit of the paste down on it, and mixed it up.  It was very light and whitish which is not the way this ink normally looks, but it matched this patterned paper perfectly (I thought!).

wwDSC_2792    wwDSC_2795    wwDSC_2797

When I sponged the Bamboo Leaves ink directly onto the dried paste (like on the middle sample above), the color was much closer to what I expected it to look like (at least in real life).  For this method, I replaced the stencil over the dried panel to mask off the paper where there was no paste and then sponged on the ink.  I also tried a water color wash (with the same ink and water from my craft mat) over the whole surface after it was dried (third sample above).  That was probably my least favorite method of adding the color, but water color is not really my thing – lol!  (My color was very diluted; maybe I would have liked this method better with more intense ink/paint.)

The patterned paper I used is called “Floral Border” by Recollections.  I matted my panels with Papertrey Ink Scarlet Jewel card stock and stamped the greeting with a stamp from the “Banners” set from Joy! Crafts with PTI Ocean Tides ink.

Thanks for checking out my card project!